Monday, September 03, 2007

Meet Sa Re Ga Ma Pa finalists

The eight finalists of Zee TV's reality show, Zee SaReGaMaPa Challenge are busy these days, attending press conferences, giving interviews, recording, rehearsing, and giving promotional shows outside Mumbai.

As the singing competition gets tougher, we find out more about the final contestants.

Sumedha Karmak, Chattisgarh

She is popularly known as Barbie doll of the show, thanks to her outfits.

She did her schooling at Weidner Memorial High School in Chattisgarh and went to college in Chandigarh, when she auditioned for the show.

In Mumbai, Sumedha was given a green card and a direct entry to the final 10.

"My confidence level was low, as I didn't get a chance to perform like other participants," she tells us.

She has been training in singing by guru Sameer Bhattacharya. She says, "I have learnt a lot from the past months. Everyday is a learning experience."

As for her most memorable moment, Sumedha says it was when (host) Aditya Narayan came on the stage after the first episode with an envelope containing a letter from Mahesh Bhatt, which said that he would give her a chance to sing in his next film.

But it was Asha Bhosle who made her cry tears of joy. "Ashaji is my idol and I was so happy to meet her when she had come as Maha judge," she recalls.

Now life has changed for Sumedha. When she returned to her hometown, Chattisgarh, she got a great reception at the airport. "A lot of people and friends were there to welcome me with drums and garlands. I attended a lot of parties and press conferences," she says.

"My friends tell me that they save canteen money just to send SMSes and vote for me which just shows how much they really love me," she adds.

"This is a wonderful opportunity and I really want to win the contest. I have already sung for Bappida (Bappi Lahiri) for the film, Tere Sangh. I will shift my base to Mumbai, learn classical music and work hard," she promises.



Mussarat Abbas, Lahore


Mussarat is a big fan of Kishore Kumar and R D Burman.

"I have not gone through any formal training and started singing at the age of 10 after listening to the songs of Ghulam Ali," he says.

Mussarath auditioned from Lahore for SaReGaMaPa. "My friend told me to give the audition. I had typhoid but did not wanted to miss this opportunity. It was Ghulam Ali Khan who selected me," he says.

Mussarath has completed his degree in journalism and is now doing a diploma in music. He couldn't give his third semester exams, thanks to the show.When I first came to Mumbai and gave my first performance in SaReGaMaPa, I got a good response. Himeshji (Reshammiya) selected me for his gharana. I performed well every week and was in final 10," he adds.

"I went to Lahore recently and met my family and friends. My family was happy, though my friends complained that I do not call them. But they are happy for me," he continues.

He says every day is a learning experience. "I have learnt the techniques of singing here that I wouldn't have learnt anywhere else."

"Ashaji (Asha Bhosle) felt I was singing in the same style. She and Himeshji had a small argument over that. Finally, when I sang a song of her choice she was happy."

His most memorable moment was when Viday Balan, Salman Khan and Dia Mirza came on the show. "Vidya gave me the best compliment," he says.

He says he doesn't have any offers yet but if he does get one, he would sing only after getting permission from Himeshji.

Regarding the controversy when the Pakistanis refused to sing the India patriotic songs, he explains, "We had decided Pakistanis will sing Pakistani patriotic songs and Indians will sing Indian patriotic songs. I don't know where the media got the news that we refused to sing the Indian patriotic songs.

"I just want my fans to support me like they have been doing all this while," he concludes.


Mauli Dave, Texas


Bappida called her the Shakira of India.

This 20-year old student of graphic designing comes from a musical background where she learnt music from her grandparents when she was five years old. Her father, an engineer by profession, also sings.

"I came to Ahmedabad when I was eight. I learnt to write and speak Gujrathi and Hindi in school. I learnt classical music and did a diploma in Kuchupudi. I returned to the US when I was 12," she says.

The talented girl also learnt Bharathanatyam from her mother.

I went to US, started teaching music and dance for children and giving live shows from the age of 12. I used to watch SaReGaMaPa when Sonuji (Sonu Nigam) was the host. After seven years of live performances, I decided to audition for the show and was selected in the final round when Bappida heard me singing Maiya Maiya," she adds.

"After coming here, I have come to know the real feel of competition. Life has completely changed. We have so much attachment here, it's very difficult for us to see one of us get eliminated. We sing and have fun. I am going to miss all this after this is over. It's the best thing that has happened to me," she says

The singer who doesn't mind acting in films if the offer is good, has also recorded a song for Bappida.

Raja Hasan Sagar, Rajasthan




Raja Hasan Sagar left his studies in Bikaner, Rajasthan, to come to Mumbai eight years ago.

"I was not good in studies. I couldn't pass my Standard 12. I told my mother that I want to make a career in music. She supported me and told me that I should make it big," he says.

"I learnt music from my grandfather when I was a kid and would copy my father's style of singing. My father, Rafiq Sagar, is a music director and ghazal singer. He shuttles between Mumbai and Bikaner as he performs bhajans and ghazals," he adds.

"I used to sing ghazals at a popular resort on the outskirts of Mumbai. I even tried my hand at music direction too, but it didn't work. I thought my voice was not good but people appreciated it, so I continued working hard. I have sung a ghazal in Khosla Ka Ghosla," he adds.

Aneek Dhar, Kolkata


Aneek, 18, is the winner of the Bangla SaReGaMaPa contest. He and the winner of the Marathi version made a direct entry when the organisers introduced a Brahmastra in one of the episodes.

Aneek started singing at the age of three. He learnt music from his uncle and now is also learning classical music from his guruji, Jayanth Sarkar. He also participated in many musical competitions and won prizes during his schools days.

Though he has taken admission at St Xavier's college, Kolkata, for a course in mass communication, Aneek has yet to attend the classes. "I have not attended a single class as I am busy with the competition," he adds.

After coming to Mumbai, Aneek learnt what professionalism was. "I learnt a lot from the great singers, composers and participants," he says adding that mentors play an important role in singing as well as guidance. Incidently, fellow contestant Amanath is his best friend.

"Life is different after the show. Now people recognise me and that feels good," he says. "When I went to my hometown everybody was happy for me. My parents told me to work hard in this competition."

As for his future plans, Aneek says he has sung for Bappida's Love.com, Balaganesha with Amanath Ali, and for Little Krishna.


Harpreet Deol, Ludhiana




Bad luck dodged Harpreet right from the very first day of the auditions.

"I was not well on the first day of my audition in Chandigarh. I told my parents that I was going to my friend's place but I went for the audition instead.

"By the time I reached the centre, the registration was already closed. I requested the coordinator to give me a chance and he agreed. I was given only two minutes (other participants got 10) to audition," he says. He got through.

For the next round, Harpreet was asked to go to Delhi. There too, he was unwell. "My throat was bad and I didn't sing well," he recalls. "However, Bappida had heard my songs before, so he selected me," he adds. "Without Bappida's support, I wouldn't have been here today. He is my godfather," he continues.

But his mentor is Vishal-Shekar from whom he learnt a lot, right from the technical things, professionalism to time management.

Nicknamed Devdas by his friends because he doesn't like parties and shopping, Harpreet confesses that he is an introvert. "I attended only Aditya Narayan's birthday party because he is a friend and couldn't avoid it," he adds.

Though he was always interested in cricket and singing, he decided to learn music only after graduation. "I was learning music but couldn't give the final exams because I had to come to Mumbai for the show," he says.

Harpreet says that life has changed after the show. "Earlier, we used to hang out in front of the women's college. When I recently visited my hometown, the principal of a women's college called me for a function, which the girls of the college had organised. But I couldn't go as the media and TV guys were always behind me," he recalls.


Poonam Jatau, Lucknow



Poonam, 26, is a BA graduate from Sanskrit Pathshala Kanya Inter College in Lucknow. Ismail Durbar auditioned her in Lucknow and after her final audition in Mumbai, he selected her in his gharana.

Poonam started young. Always interested in a career in singing, she started singing at the age of five. She learnt classical music for eight years.

"I used to give stage shows and then the head of my troupe told me to give an audition for SaReGaMaPa," she says.

"Ashaji (Asha Bhosle) is my idol, she can sing any type of song like ghazal, light, classical and filmi. She said that I will be a good playback singer," Pooja adds.

"I am close to Amanath, he is like my brother. I will miss him after this show. Life has changed after SaReGaMaPa. Earlier nobody knew me, now people talk to me and I feel nice. My friends are angry that I don't call them," she concludes.



Amanath Ali, Pakistan



Amanat Ali, 20, entered SaReGaMa Viswa Yudh directly without any audition, as he was the winner of the contest in Dubai for the Middle East and Pakistan.

"The first time when I performed in India I was not nervous at all. I got a standing ovation from all the mentors," he says

He learnt ghazals and is also one of the members of a popular band called Meekal Hasan in Pakistan.

Source

COMMENTS :

Don't Spam Here

0 comments to “Meet Sa Re Ga Ma Pa finalists”

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Fresh Themes Gallery | NdyTeeN. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger and Distributed by Blogtemplate4u .