Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Soha ali khan gets glamorous in Khoya Khoya chand


'I've never played a glamorous leading lady before'
She came into the film industry as Sharmila Tagore and Nawab Pataudi's daughter. Initially known only as Saif Ali's Khan's younger sister, Soha Ali Khan finally came into her own with her critically-acclaimed performance in Rang De Basanti.

Now, with Sudhir Mishra's Khoya Khoya Chand, she hopes to establish herself as one of Bollywood's leading ladies. Excerpts from a tete-a-tete with the young, beautiful actress:

Tell us about Khoya Khoya Chand?

It is a romantic film set in the 1950s with Bollywood as a backdrop. It spans 13 years during which the two protagonists Nikhat and Zafar (Shiney Ahuja) achieve their potential in their respective lives and careers.

You play Nikhat. What is the role like?

The movie opens with her as an aspiring actress struggling to find a foothold in the industry. During the course of the movie, she forges different relationships like a friendship with Prem Kumar (Rajat Kapur), a famous movie star of the time. She falls in love with Zafar, a writer-director.

This is my biggest role so far in content and scope; I've never played a glamorous leading lady before. It's the best show any actress could ask for. I'm doing things I never imagined doing -- performing a mujra, cabaret, doing horse-back riding -- all in one film.

Text: Ameeta Gupta


'I'm not sure Nikhat and Zafar are based on Guru Dutt and Waheedaji.'
Being an actress yourself, could you relate to Nikhat?

I'm an actress and a Muslim, but that's where the similarity ends. In essence, we are completely different. Nikhat has had to struggle her whole life, she has family to support -- her father depends on her. She's gone through great turmoil in her life and career, while I've had a protected life.

I'm nowhere near her emotional maturity. On the other hand, I've had much exposure -- education, travelling -- Nikhat never had.

Would say the relationship between Nikhat and Zafar is inspired by Guru Dutt and Waheeda Rehman?

There are many incidents and relationships that inspired Sudhir. The era of the 50s itself was an inspiration for him. The way movies were made then were so different. Movies with actresses like Waheedaji and Madhubala would get great openings solely because of their star power.

I don't know any actress who now commands such a following. Sudhir meticulously researched films from the 50s for the script and he is a big fan of Guru Dutt's films. But I'm not sure Nikhat and Zafar are based on Guru Datt and Waheedaji.



'I'm supposed to be very sexy and sleazy'
Being an actress yourself, could you relate to Nikhat?

I'm an actress and a Muslim but that's where the similarity ends. In essence we are completely different. Nikhat has had to struggle her whole life, she has family to support -- her father depends on her. She's gone through great turmoil in her life and career where as I've had a protected life.

I'm nowhere near her emotional maturity. On the other, I've had so much exposure -- education, travelling, Nikhat never had these privileges.

Would say that the relationship between Nikhat and Zafar is somewhat inspired by that of Guru Dutt and Waheeda Rehman?

There are many incidents and relationships that inspired Sudhir. The era of the 50's itself was an inspiration for him. The way movies were made then were so different. I mean, movies with actresses like Waheedaji and Madhubala would get great openings solely because of their star power.

I don't know any actress now that commands such a following. Sudhir meticulously researched the films from the 50's for this script and he's a big fan of Guru Dutt's films. But I'm not sure if Nikhat and Zafar are based on Guru Datt and Waheedaji.

I've done a lot of crazy things in this film'
Any incident or scene that simply cracked you up?

One of the roles Nikhat plays is in a film within this film, where she is supposed to commit suicide. She runs up a hill, says her goodbyes and jump off. I thought the scene would be easy. I ran up the hill huffing and puffing, ready to take the plunge. But as I reached the cliff, I simply froze. Sudhir was yelling out, "Jump, it's not high!" but I couldn't. I'm short, so perhaps the hill seemed a bit taller than it actually was (laughs). So, yes, this intense scene took me a few takes to conquer.

I've done a lot of crazy things in this film; I've done sword fighting. I've driven around the streets of Mumbai in an Impala at night.

You played a modern girl in Rang De Basanti. Was the transformation from Sonia to Nikhat difficult?

In Rang De, I was myself. In the scene where Sonia loses her fiance, for instance, I imagined how it would feel like to lose someone I loved. But with Nikhat, I consciously decided to not let my personality seep into my performance. I wanted her to react differently, to be completely different from my past performances.

Tell us about your new look in the film.

Sudhir had Nikhat's look completely fleshed out in his mind. Ashima Belapurkar and Niharika Khan did a great job. My look keeps transforming during the course of the movie.


'Shiney brings a touch of masculinity'
What was working with Shiney like?

We didn't talk much for the first two weeks. Gradually, we got comfortable with each other. He has a great sense of humour. I think his style of acting is very different from that of other Indian heroes. He brings a touch of masculinity to the role, in a subtle but effective manner.

What was it like working under Sudhir's direction?

Incredible! I love his earlier work -- Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi and Dharavai. It's a joy working with someone who's so meticulous about his work.

I love that his heroines are as detailed and have as much depth as his heroes. Sudhir is surrounded by strong women in his life and they would kick his a** if he portrayed his leading ladies in any other way (laughs). I enjoy his witty and intelligently written scripts.

What after Khoya Khoya Chand?

I have a movie with UTV called Mumbai Meri Jaan directed by Nishikanth Kamath. It is about the 2006 train blasts that occurred in Mumbai. I am also doing another film with Sudhir -- about the underbelly of Mumbai. It is again a very intense role, which I am very excited about.

COMMENTS :

Don't Spam Here 1

Guru Dutt is one of the most thoughtful actors who had glorified bollywood cinema during the 50s and 60s. Although he had impressed the viewers with films like Aar Par and Mr. & Mrs.55,

Souvik Chatterji said...
on 

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Fresh Themes Gallery | NdyTeeN. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger and Distributed by Blogtemplate4u .